Thursday, June 16, 2011

Museo Picasso, Park Güell, and X-Men

I haven't posted in a while, but that's because I needed to upload the pictures first and I've finally done that!

On Sunday we went to Museo Picasso, which is about what it sounds like: the Picasso Museum.

It was the only museum Picasso himself actually wanted built while he was still alive, and mostly covers his early life (which he spent a lot of in Barcelona and Catalunya). So the museum doesn't really have that much that's particularly well-known. There was one textbook of his with his doodles from class (so save your textbooks if you think you might ever be a world-famous painter!) and some paintings from his Blue Period. There were two rather sexually explicit drawings--one with an oddly-placed cat. Also, they don't let you take pictures inside so I didn't. But here's a picture of the street it was on:

It was free when we went because its free every Sunday from 3-7, and now that I've seen it I don't think it would be worth the €10 admission price. And I have that picture because there was a really long line to get in. Long, but fast-moving so no big deal. But I'm also not that into art, so you might love it if you come to Barcelona!

Then, Monday was a holiday. Obviously all of our workplaces were closed, so the two RA/Counselor people (who from now on I will refer to as Meri and Tyler, which are their names) organized an "unsponsored" trip to Park Güell. That just means that if there's any cost it isn't included in the program.

Park Güell (pronounced Guay, like the end of Paraguay) was designed by Gaudí and built from 1900-1914. Those are all the details I have, but if you go to This Link they'll have plenty more information for you :). We kind of lost Meri and Tyler pretty early in the trip, so I think I might have to go back and check out the whole thing with either Mom and Andy or Dad. Or both, because I think my dad will especially like it since he's into the whole architecture thing, but I'm sure mom and Andy will want to check it out as well.

Here are some of the pictures. As you can tell, it isn't your typical park:

A Mosaic Park Bench

The Two Main Buildings At the Real Entrance


Lizard that Became the Barcelona Symbol


Main Entrance

This week has otherwise been pretty uneventful, except that Lindsay (the girl who works with me, and we're also going to Dublin together next week with another girl Alissa) and I decided that we wanted to go see X-Men: First Class after work one day. We found the nearest original language theater (shockingly, they air most movies here dubbed! I was so surprised (just kidding)) and went to go see it. I actually really liked it and would recommend it. Hopefully we'll see Green Lantern this weekend (did any of you think I'd miss the new Ryan Reynolds movie? Really?).

On Saturday we're going to Montserrat to go to a winery! It's only about 35km from here, but should definitely be awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Another great time is seems. Keep posting! We are living thorugh your experiences. Misssing you here but enjoying what you are doing there. -Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete